1. The Platform for Action is an agenda for women's empowerment. It aims at accelerating the implementation of the Nairobi Forward-looking Strategies for the Advancement of Women 1/ and at removing the all obstacles to women's active participation in all spheres of public and private life through a full and equal share in economic, social, cultural and political decision-making. This means that the principle of shared power and responsibility should be established between women and men at home, in the workplace and in the wider national and international communities. Equality between women and men is a matter of human rights and a condition for social justice and is also a necessary and fundamental prerequisite for equality, development and peace. A transformed partnership based on equality between women and men is a condition for people-centred sustainable development. A sustained and long-term commitment is essential, so that women and men can work together for themselves, for their children and for society to meet the challenges of the twenty-first century.
2. [The Platform for Action reaffirms the fundamental principle, set forth in the Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action, 2/ adopted by the World Conference on Human Rights that the human rights of women and of the girl child are an inalienable, integral and indivisible part of universal human rights.] As an agenda for action, the Platform seeks to promote and protect [the full enjoyment of all universal] all human rights and the fundamental freedoms of all women throughout their life cycle.
3. The Platform for Action emphasizes that women share common concerns that can be addressed only by working together and in partnership with men towards the common goal of gender equality around the world. It respects and values the full diversity of women's situations and conditions and recognizes that some women face particular barriers to their empowerment.
4. The Platform for Action requires immediate and concerted action by all to create a peaceful, just, humane and [equitable] world based on the [universal human rights and fundamental freedoms, including the] principle of equality [and equity] for all people of all ages and from all walks of life.
5. The success of the Platform for Action will require a strong commitment on the part of Governments, international organizations and institutions at all levels as well as [adequate] [new and additional] resources for the implementation of the agreements made; a commitment to equal rights, equal responsibilities and equal opportunities and to the equal participation of women and men in all national, regional and international bodies and policy-making processes; and the establishment or strengthening of mechanisms at all levels for accountability to the world's women.