Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB)
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB) is a balanced, timely and independent reporting service on United Nations environment and development negotiations. It is the flagship publication of the International Institute for Sustainable Development – Reporting Services Division (IISD-RS). IISD is a non-profit organization based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin provides daily coverage at selected UN environment and development negotiations. We distribute our daily 1900-word reports in hard copy at meeting venues, on our website (enb.iisd.org), by email, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/IISDRS) and Twitter (@IISDRS). At the conclusion of each meeting, the Earth Negotiations Bulletin publishes a 10,000-30,000-word summary and analysis of the meeting.The Bulletin reaches a wide range of people interested in environment and development negotiations.
Many UN delegates, ministers and other governmental officials, NGOs, the business community, the academic community, the media and UN staff who track environment and sustainable development policy consider the Earth Negotiations Bulletin to be essential reading. The Bulletin has received high praise for its objective and comprehensive presentation of the facts.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin began as the joint initiative of three individuals from the NGO community, who were participating in the preparations for the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED). Johannah Bernstein, an environmental lawyer and Director of the Canadian Participatory Committee for UNCED (CPCU), Pamela Chasek, a doctoral student at Johns Hopkins University’s Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, and Langston James Goree VI "Kimo", a former UNDP programme officer and NGO activist from the Western Amazon, created the Earth Summit Bulletin in March 1992.
After publishing daily issues during the five weeks of the Fourth Preparatory Committee meeting for UNCED, the three raised funds to publish at the Conference in Rio. Following the conclusion of UNCED, the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) approached the three founders with an offer to continue publishing the Earth Summit Bulletin at follow-up negotiations to the Earth Summit. In November 1992 the Earth Summit Bulletin was renamed the Earth Negotiations Bulletin. Since 1993, the Earth Negotiations Bulletin has covered over 30 negotiating processes within the UN system.
ENB Contact Us
For more information or questions regarding the Earth Negotiations Bulletin, please contact our .
ENB Process/Issue | Meeting Coverage Archives
- UN Conference on Environment and Development PrepCom IV – UNCED
- UN Conference on Environment and Development – UNCED
- UN General Assembly – 1992-1994
- UN Convention to Combat Desertification – UNCCD
- UN Commission on Sustainable Development – CSD
- International Conference on Population and Development – ICPD
- UN Conference on Straddling Fish Stocks and Highly Migratory Fish Stocks - FSA
- Conferences of the Sustainable Development of Small Island Developing States – SIDS
- Biological Diversity
- World Summit on Social Development – WSSD
- UN Conference on Human Settlements – Habitat
- Climate Change
- Commission on the Status of Women – CSW
- Chemicals Management
- United Nations Environment Programme – UNEP
- Ramsar Convention on Wetlands
- Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals – CMS
- Vienna Convention and Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
- Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora – CITES
- World Summit on Sustainable Development – WSSD
- Conferences on Financing for Development – FfD
- International Tropical Timber Council – ITTC
- United Nations World Conferences on Disaster Risk Reduction – WCDRR
- UN Conference on Sustainable Development – UNCSD
- Minamata Convention on Mercury
- UN Food and Agricultural Organization Committee on Fisheries – COFI
- International Renewable Energy Agency – IRENA
- Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services – IPBES
- Sustainable Development Goals
- High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development – HLPF
- International Whaling Commission (IWC)