16th Meeting of the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee to the Stockholm Convention (POPRC-16)
11-16 January 2021 | Online
Highlights for Wednesday, 13 January 2021
Despite internet connection difficulties that caused slight delays and made it difficult to hear some participants, the Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) Review Committee forged ahead with its ambitious agenda. Participants focused on the draft risk profile for Dechlorane Plus, evaluating evidence of the POPs characteristics of persistence, bioaccumulation, potential to cause adverse effects on human health and/or the environment, and long-range environmental transport.
Victorine Pinas, Suriname, Chair of the Intersessional Working Group tasked with preparing a draft risk profile on this flame retardant, presented an updated document that incorporated comments received during the Committee’s December 2020 pre-meetings. Deliberations in both plenary and a subsequent contact group focused on the strength and reliability of available evidence regarding adverse effects of Dechlorane Plus on humans. By the conclusion of the contact group, delegates had completed a paragraph-by-paragraph review of the core of the document, during which both Committee members and observers made numerous suggestions intended to help clarify this highly technical text.
The Committee also concluded its discussion on the review of information related to specific exemptions for the continued production and/or use of short-chain chlorinated paraffins (SCCPs). Members agreed that Cynthia Bainbridge, Canada, would coordinate revision of the draft report for future discussion by the Committee. Similarly, the Committee entrusted Magdalena Frydrych, Poland, with coordinating revisions of the draft report on the review of information on decabromodiphenyl ether (decaBDE).
Interim Chair Peter Dawson, New Zealand, explained that on Thursday the Committee would turn to:
The Committee is also expected to resume its work on the proposal to list UV-328, a plasticizer, in Annex A of the Convention.
Images from the Meeting
- POPRC-16 Website and Documents
- POPRC-16 Provisional Annotated Agenda
- POPRC-16 Scenario Note
- POPRC-16 Tentative Schedule
- Online Briefings on POPRC-16 and the outcomes of the Chemical Review Committee of the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- POPRC-15, 1-4 October 2019, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) headquarters, Rome, Italy
- 2019 Meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions, 29 April - 10 May 2019, Geneva, Switzerland
- 16th Meeting of the Chemical Review Committee of the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade, 8-11 September 2020, Online
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including Chemicals News, SDG News, Ocean News, Climate News, Biodiversity News, Forests News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)