Innovating Climate Change Adaptation through Agroecology
27-29 May 2020 | Online
The consultation series on Innovating Climate Change Adaptation through Agroecology, to be held virtually on Zoom, from 27-29 May 2020, will bring together various organizations from the development cooperation and adaptation sectors, including members of national governments, as well as representatives of international organizations, research centers, and grassroots initiatives. The aim of the consultation series is to jointly develop key messages on the importance of agroecology for climate change adaptation.
The consultations are structured in a dialogue-centred manner. The first part will focus on discussing climate change adaptation needs in the agricultural sector and the role of agroecology therein. The second part will consist of case presentations reflecting on implementation experiences and showcasing positive impacts of agroecology.
The consultations will support the development of an input paper which will highlight the potential of agroecological practices to increase resilience and explore different approaches to address climate change vulnerabilities through the lens of food system transformation. As such, it will support the work of the Global Commission on Adaptation and its action track on food security and rural livelihoods.
The consultation series is organized by TMG Research, together with the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ), in support of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development’s efforts to increase the focus on the importance of agroecology to address climate change adaptation needs and food security.
Originally planned to take place face-to-face, the consultations will be moved to an online format due to the coronavirus pandemic. The consultations were, among other things, intended to provide input to the SDG2 Momentum event, that the German government planned to convene on June 5-10 2020 in Berlin. This event has been postponed due to the pandemic.
IISD, through its ENB+ Meeting Coverage, will provide daily digital updates and a summary report from the Consultation on Innovating Climate Change Adaptation through Agroecology.
IISD ENB/ENB+ Meeting Coverage
- Chile/Madrid Climate Change Conference - December 2019, 2-15 December 2019, Madrid, Spain
- The Hidden Costs of American Food, 26 June 2019, Washington, DC, US
- The Economics of Ecosystems & Biodiversity for Agriculture and Food (TEEBAgriFood) Global Symposium 2019, 25-27 February 2019, UN Environment Programme (UNEP) headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- Subscription Page for IISD Reporting Services Peer-to-Peer Mailing Lists (including CLIMATE-L, SDG, OCEANS-L, BIODIVERSITY-L, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Linkages Update - International Environment and Sustainable Development News