UN75 and Beyond: Inclusive Multilateralism and Voluntary Local Reviews (VLR) as a Tool
23 October 2020 | Online
Highlights for Friday, 23 October 2020
On the occasion of the UN’s 75th anniversary on 24 October, this virtual meeting, organized under the auspices of the “Daring Cities” forum, provided space for a dialogue among urban leaders and UN officials to explore the innovative options the urban world offers to deliver on inclusive multilateralism towards 2030, with a focus on Voluntary Local Reviews (VLRs) as an innovative tool.
Presentations discussed: the UN's 75th anniversary and inclusive multilateralism; the City of Bonn joining the VLR movement; and the German experience with inclusive multilateralism.
Yunus Arikan, Director of Global Advocacy, ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability, explained the vision of the Daring Cities 2020 forum, which connects the climate emergency and urban challenges.
In opening remarks, Christoph Heusgen, Permanent Representative of Germany to the UN, noted that the twin crises of the COVID-19 pandemic and the climate crisis call for stronger multilateral responses, and that cities are central actors in climate governance as 80% of global energy consumption and 70% of greenhouse gas emissions occur in cities.
During the session on UN75 and Inclusive Multilateralism, Martin Frick, Deputy Special Envoy, 2021 UN Food Systems Summit, outlined the history of how environmental issues went from peripheral to central at the UN. Emilia Sáiz, Secretary General, United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), noting the current inequalities, stressed the need to redefine social interactions and think of local service provision in terms of understanding multilateralism.
Frank Cownie, Mayor of Des Moines, US, ICLEI Vice President, and spokesperson to the UN, stressed the four cornerstones at the heart of ICLEI’s proposal for multilevel collaboration in the age of inclusive multilateralism: global engagement through annual high-level consultations with the Chief Executives of the UN System; regional engagement through increased collaboration between the UN Regional Commissions and UN Host Cities; national engagement with the UN Country Coordinators through national associations; and Local 2030 hubs and local engagement, by mobilizing additional resources to champion local and regional governments engaged in the work of the UN.
During the session on City of Bonn Joining the Movement of VLRs, Ashok Sridharan, Mayor of Bonn, Germany and ICLEI President, presented Bonn’s VLR which he noted connects local reporting with key objectives of the SDGs.
Penny Abeywardena, Commissioner for International Affairs, Office of the Mayor, New York City, US, described how New York City became involved with the SDGs and set up ways to share best practices to accelerate impact.
The session on German Experience of Inclusive Multilateralism: A Vision for National and Global Engagement explored the different experiences from Germany. Stefan Wagner, Head, International Relations and Global Sustainability, City of Bonn, noted that VLRs are means to champion contributions of local governance.
Peter Lange, Foreign Federal Office, Germany, noted that his office has appointed someone responsible for urban diplomacy in the foreign ministry.
In closing the meeting, Yunus Arikan thanked all participants for a productive discussion.
The event was organized by ICLEI and took place on 23 October 2020 in a virtual format due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Images from the Meeting
Videos from the Session
- Website for UN75 and Beyond
- UN75 Report
- Statement by the UN Secretary General on UN75
- UN75 Response of the Global Task Force of Local and Regional Governments
- ICLEI’s Blueprint to Enhance UN Collaboration with Local and Regional Governments
- NYC VLR Declaration
- UCLG-UN-Habitat VLR Guidelines
- List of VLRs Submitted to UN DESA
- 2020 VLR of the City of Bonn
- VLR Workshop of City of Bonn at Daring Cities Forum, 16 October
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- Reactions of Local and Regional Governments to the UN75 Report, 8 October 2020, Online
- Forum of Mayors 2020, 6 October 2020, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at the UN Summits Week 2020, 22-29 September 2020, Virtual
- 75th Anniversary of the UN, 21 September 2020, Virtual
- SDG Moment, 18 September 2020, Virtual
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at the 2020 High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF 2020), 7-16 July 2020, Virtual
- World Congress of United Cities and Local Governments and World Summit of Local and Regional Leaders, 11-15 November 2019, Durban, South Africa
- 1st Session of the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) Assembly, 27-31 May 2019, UN-Habitat headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2nd World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments, 16 October 2016, Quito, Ecuador
- UCLG World Congress and World Summit of Local and Regional Leaders, 12-15 October 2016, Bogota, Colombia
- Habitat III Informal Hearings with Stakeholders, 6-7 June 2016, UN Headquarters, New York
- Habitat III Informal Hearings with Local Authorities Associations, 16-17 May 2016, UN Headquarters, New York
- Habitat III Open-Ended Informal Consultative Meetings, 25-29 April 2016, UN Headquarters, New York
- 23rd Session of the UN-Habitat Governing Council, 11-15 April 2011, Nairobi, Kenya
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including SDG News, Climate News, Biodiversity News, Ocean News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)