11th Meeting of the Monaco Blue Initiative
28 May, 9 and 24 June 2020 | Online
Highlights for Tuesday, 9 June 2020
The 11th edition of the Monaco Blue Initiative (MBI) held its second virtual workshop on 9 June 2020. The workshop took place under the theme “Lessons learned from community-led initiatives in the management and preservation of protected areas.”
Delivering a keynote address, Andrés Couve Correa, Minister, Science, Technology, Knowledge and Innovation, Chile, shared his country’s experiences in community-led actions in Easter Island, which protect the artisanal fishing practices of the Rapa Nui from commercial fisheries and mining. Preserving people’s way of life, he noted, is key to ensuring the recognition of community rights.
Grethel Aguilar, Acting Director General, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), moderated the panel discussion. During the discussion:
- Divya Karnad, Founder, InSeason Fish, India, highlighted the need to support ecologically determined, rather demand-determined, fish markets to ensure fishers receive benefits from less marketable species during fishing closures in marine protected areas (MPAs);
- Adam Miller, Executive Director, Planet Indonesia, said local engagement and participation should be considered indicators of success, and emphasized local governance structures as key to MPA sustainability;
- Esther Wolfs, Founder, Wolfs Company, Germany, shared experiences working with communities in the Cayman Islands and Bonaire to ensure private investors include natural capital in their business strategies and, thus, ensure mutual benefits;
- Marco Lambertini, Director General, World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) International, said recognizing the rights of coastal communities is critical to successful MPA management; and
- Haydée Rodriguez Romero, Vice-Minister for Water and Seas, Costa Rica, said marine spatial planning, environmental impact assessments, and nature-based solutions are important when designing blue economy models, and provide a balance between benefits and sustainability.
Participants reflected on the role that continued dialogue on oceans plays in fulfilling the promise of the 2020 “super year” for biodiversity and oceans. Many noted the opportunity presented by MBI dialogues for concrete inputs to the post-2020 global biodiversity framework under the Convention on Biological Diversity.
The workshop took place virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The final virtual meeting of the MBI will convene on 24 June 2020 under the theme, “How to reconcile the blue economy with the sustainable management of oceans in the fields of tourism, transport, energy, fisheries and aquaculture.” The link to register this workshop is here.
The Initiative is implemented by the Oceanographic Institute of Monaco and the Foundation Prince Albert II of Monaco.
IISD has produced a briefing note from this event which is available in HTML and PDF.
Images from the Meeting
Monaco Blue Initiative Resources
IISD ENB/ENB+ Meeting Coverage
- 1st Part of the 26th Annual Session of the International Seabed Authority (ISA), 17-21 February 2020, ISA headquarters, Kingston, Jamaica
- Chile/Madrid Climate Change Conference - December 2019, 2-15 December 2019, Madrid, Spain
- Oceans Action Day at COP 25, 7 December 2019, Madrid, Spain
- 21st Conference of the Contracting Parties to the Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment and the Coastal Region of the Mediterranean (Barcelona Convention COP 21) and its Protocols, 2-5 December 2019, Naples, Italy
- 2020 Ocean Pathways Week, 11-15 November 2019, Montreal, Canada
- Marine Regions Forum 2019, 30 September - 2 October 2019, Berlin, Germany
- 10th Meeting of the Monaco Blue Initiative, 25 March 2019, Principality of Monaco
- 3rd Session of the Intergovernmental Conference (IGC) on the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Marine Biodiversity of Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction (BBNJ), 19-30 August 2019, UN Headquarters, New York
- 20th Meeting of the UN Open-ended Informal Consultative Process on Oceans and the Law of the Sea, 10-14 June 2019, UN Headquarters, New York
- BBNJ IGC-2, 25 March - 5 April 2019, UN Headquarters, New York
- BBNJ IGC-1, 4-17 September 2018, UN Headquarters, New York
- 19th Meeting of the UN Open-ended Informal Consultative Process on Oceans and the Law of the Sea, 18-22 June 2018, UN Headquarters, New York
- BBNJ PrepCom 4, 10-21 July 2017, UN Headquarters, New York
- Subscription Page for IISD Reporting Services Peer-to-Peer Mailing Lists (including OCEANS-L, WATER-L, SDG, CLIMATE-L, ENERGY-L, BIODIVERSITY-L, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Linkages Update - International Environment and Sustainable Development News