33rd UN-Water Meeting
29 September 2020 | Online
The 33rd UN-Water Meeting will bring together representatives from UN-Water Members and Partners for a virtual discussion on challenges for international water and sanitation policy issues due to the COVID-19 pandemic and opportunities to coordinate the work of their respective organizations to advance progress on Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6 (clean water and sanitation).
The open session of the 33rd UN-Water Meeting, which is taking place on 29 September 2020, will convene UN-Water Members, Partners with Special Status, Partners and Observers. This session will consider two agenda items:
- Implications of and response to the COVID-19 pandemic; and
- Advancing SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework.
The SDG 6 Global Acceleration Framework was launched during the July 2020 session of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development. It seeks to support accelerated country progress in five areas related to SDG 6: financing; data and information; capacity development; innovation; and governance.
On Wednesday, 30 September 2020, representatives from UN-Water Members and Partners with Special Status will convene for a closed session focused on UN-Water procedural matters. The 33rd meeting of UN-Water was originally expected to take place from 21-22 August 2020, in Stockholm, Sweden. The meeting was rescheduled as a virtual event due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
UN-Water plays a coordinating role within the UN, to ensure that the UN family “delivers as one” in response to water-related challenges. The overarching focus of UN-Water’s Members and Partners is to support UN Member States to sustainably manage water and sanitation.
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- 32nd UN-Water Meeting, 28-29 January 2020, Rome, Italy
- 31st UN-Water Meeting, 23-24 August 2019, Stockholm, Sweden
- 30th UN-Water Meeting, 31 January-1 February 2019, Rome, Italy
- 29th UN-Water Meeting, 24-25 August 2018, Stockholm, Sweden
- 28th UN-Water Meeting, 1-2 February 2018, Rome, Italy
- 27th UN-Water Meeting, 25-26 August 2017, Stockholm, Sweden
- Subscription Page for IISD Reporting Services Peer-to-Peer Mailing Lists (including WATER-L, OCEANS-L, SDG, CLIMATE-L, ENERGY-L, BIODIVERSITY-L, nd Regional Updates)
- SDG 6 Coverage in the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Linkages Update - International Environment and Sustainable Development News