2nd Extraordinary Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD ExCOP 2)
16-19 and 25-27 November 2020 | Online
The 2020 UN Biodiversity Conference was originally scheduled to take place in Kunming, China, in October 2020. But, like most multilateral meetings in 2020, the conference was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) still needed its parties to convene to pass an interim budget for 2021 since the current budget for the Secretariat runs out on 31 December 2020 and there is a pressing need to keep the Secretariat operating and enable parties to pay their dues in 2021.
Thus, the second extraordinary meeting of the CBD Conference of the Parties (ExCOP 2), the first extraordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the Meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety (CP ExCOP/MOP 1) and the first extraordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the Meeting of the Parties to the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization (NP ExCOP/MOP 1) convened in a virtual setting.
The meeting was formally opened on Monday, 16 November 2020, by the presentation of the draft budget. Parties were given 72 hours to raise any objections in writing. If no objections were raised, the budget would be considered adopted. On Thursday, 19 November 2020, COP 14 President Yasmine Fouad, Minister of Environment, Egypt, announced a brief suspension of the meeting until 25 November 2020 for further consultations among parties to resolve a written objection. After another 48-hour “silence procedure,” on Friday, 27 November 2020, President Fouad announced the successful adoption of the budget and closed the ExCOP by written communication.
- CBD ExCOP 2 Website
- CBD ExCOP 2 Annotated Provisional Agenda
- Nagoya Protocol ExCOP/MOP 1 Website
- Cartagena Protocol ExCOP/MOP 1 Website
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- UN Biodiversity Summit, 30 September 2020, Virtual
- CBD: Special Virtual Sessions, 15-18 September 2020, Virtual
- 2nd Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, 24-29 February 2020, Headquarters of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO), Rome, Italy
- 23rd Meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical, and Technological Advice (SBSTTA 23) and 11th Meeting of the Ad Hoc Open-ended Working Group on Article 8(j) and Related Provisions (WG8J 11) of the CBD, 20-22 and 25-29 November 2019, Montreal, Canada
- 1st Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, 27-30 August 2019, UN Office, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2018 UN Biodiversity Conference, 14-29 November 2018, Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt
- ENB Coverage of Biodiversity Meetings
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including Biodiversity News, SDG News, Forests News, Ocean News, Climate News, Ocean News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)