On Thursday morning, COP13 met in plenary to consider draft resolutions on:
- sea turtle breeding, feeding, and nursery areas, and the designation of key areas as Ramsar Sites;
- future implementation of scientific and technical aspects of the Convention for 2019-2021; and
- Ramsar Advisory Missions.
Delegates also heard the report of the Standing Committee on the Ramsar Wetland City Accreditation approving 18 cities. At the beginning of the afternoon plenary, the Ramsar Secretariat presented accreditation certificates to mayors and other dignitaries from 18 cities from China, France, Republic of Korea, Tunisia, Madagascar, Hungary, and Sri Lanka. The event was commemorated with a side event at the close of plenary.
Delegates then considered draft resolutions on:
- guidance on identifying peatlands as Ramsar Sites for global climate change regulation;
- restoration of degraded peatlands to mitigate and adapt to climate change and enhance biodiversity;
- promoting conservation, restoration, and sustainable management of coastal blue carbon ecosystems; and
- sustainable urbanization, climate change and wetlands.
Delegates met in contact groups on various proposed draft resolutions in the morning and evening. Key takeaways for the day included:
- references to climate change making an appearance in many, if not most of the draft resolutions considered during the day;
- the successful launch of the Wetland City Accreditation programme, demonstrated by the presence of local dignitaries and officials attending the certificate ceremony; and
- the increasing pace of work needed by contact groups and Friends of the Chair, if COP13 is to meet its deadline of having all draft revisions submitted by the end of Friday.
IISD Reporting Services, through its Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB) Meeting Coverage, has provided a curtain raiser, daily web coverage, and a summary and analysis report from COP13.
Photos by IISD/ENB | Francis Dejon
For photo reprint permissions, please follow instructions at our Attribution Regulations for Meeting Photo Usage Page
Photos from the Ramsar City Accreditation Certificate Ceremony