4th Meeting of the Ad-hoc Open-ended Expert Group on Marine Litter and Microplastics (AHEG-4)
9-13 November 2020 | Online
Highlights for Thursday, 12 November 2020
On the penultimate day of the fourth Meeting of the Ad-hoc Open-ended Expert Group on Marine Litter and Microplastics (AHEG-4), delegates spent the bulk of their time considering the draft Chair’s summary. This summary will inform policy discussions on marine litter and plastic pollution at the next meeting of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA). The seven page summary contains, among other things, a review of the current actions and activities addressing the issue, as well potential options for future work.
In their vibrant deliberations, many delegations expressed their support for a new global agreement, stressing that this should be adequately reflected in the Chair’s summary. Some noted that, given the importance of the summary in charting the path forward for marine litter and plastic pollution, those issues that garnered convergence should be highlighted rather than obscured. Some delegations also reiterated the requests at this meeting for UNEA to establish an intergovernmental negotiating committee to begin discussions on a new agreement. Other delegations noted that the AHEG discussions have brought to the fore the urgent need for international action, specifically because many voluntary measures on marine litter and plastic pollution are neither inclusive nor global.
Some others, however, were careful to note that the Chair’s summary is not a negotiated text and can thus give equal weight to all the options for further action discussed during the four meetings of the AHEG. Recalling the mandate from UNEA, they underlined the need to allow policy discussions to be conducted under the auspices of the Assembly. Some were also keen to point out that there has been no consensus nor convergence on any one response option.
The draft Chair’s summary is set to be revised to take into account written submissions and elements of Thursday’s discussion, and will be reissued on Friday.
Images from the Meeting
Videos from the Session
- AHEG-4 Website
- AHEG-4 Working Documents
- Stocktake of Existing Activities and Actions
- Analysis of the Effectiveness of Existing and Potential Response Options
- Potential Options for Continued Work
- AHEG-3 Outcome Document
- AHEG-2 Report
- AHEG-1 Report
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- 12th Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group of the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal (OEWG12), 1 and 3 September 2020, and March 2021
- 2019 Meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions, 29 April - 10 May 2019, Geneva, Switzerland
- 4th Meeting of the Open-Ended Committee of Permanent Representatives to UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and 4th Session of the UN Environment Assembly, 4-8 March and 11-15 March 2019, Nairobi, Kenya
- AHEG-1, 29-31 May 2018, Nairobi, Kenya
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including Ocean News, SDG News, Climate News, Biodiversity News, Ocean News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)