The seventeenth session of the UN Forum on Forests (UNFF17) convened briefly for its final day on Friday, 13 May 2022. Delegates considered the Chair's draft summary on interlinkages between the global forest goals and targets and the Sustainable Development Goals, which will be conveyed to the UN High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) and encompasses UNFF17's input on Sustainable Development Goal 15 (life on land) and other forest-related SDGs. Delegates also considered and approved a draft omnibus resolution on:
- Implementation of the UN Strategic Plan for Forests (UNSPF);
- Means of implementation, including operations and resources of the Global Forest Financing Facilitation Network (GFFFN);
- Monitoring, assessment, and reporting; and
- Preparations for the midterm review (MTR) in 2024 of the effectiveness of the International Arrangement on Forests (IAF).
An annex to the resolution details proposed actions in preparation for the MTR.
Delegates then addressed the remaining agenda items, including the dates, venue and provisional agenda for UNFF18. India asked the Bureau to consider adding two items to that agenda:
- encouraging forests that are sustainably managed through a technically approved Working/Management Plan to be treated as certified forests and its produce as certified product; and
- the management, restoration and rejuvenation of water and water bodies, including rivers, as an integral part of the forest ecosystem.
Chair MacIntosh promised that the UNFF18 Bureau would consider the proposals.
Following the adoption of the report of the session, and closing remarks, UNFF17 was closed at 10:32 am EDT.
UNFF18 was briefly convened to elect by acclamation the new Bureau members, with Zéphyrin Maniratanga (Burundi), nominated by the African States, as chair of UNFF18 and UNFF19. UNFF18 was closed at 10:38 am EDT.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin summary and analysis of UNFF17 will be available on Monday, 16 May 2022 at https://enb.iisd.org/un-forum-forests-unff-17.
To receive free coverage of global environmental events delivered to your inbox, subscribe to the ENB Update newsletter.
All ENB photos are free to use with attribution. For UNFF17, please use: Photo by IISD/ENB | Franz Dejon.