75th Anniversary of the UN, SDG Moment, and Biodiversity Summit
15-30 September 2020 | Virtual
- 21 Sep
- 22 Sep
- 23 Sep
The UN will mark its 75th anniversary (UN 75) with a one-day high-level meeting at the opening of the 75th session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA 75), on 21 September 2020. The theme for this event will be “The Future We Want, the UN We Need: Reaffirming our Collective Commitment to Multilateralism.” The format and agenda of the UNGA 75 session are being re-considered, to take into account travel and social distancing restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. UNGA 75 will also include a Biodiversity Summit, and an SDG Moment.
The UN Summit on Biodiversity, on 22-23 September 2020, will focus on the theme “Urgent action on biodiversity for sustainable development.” Its aim is to provide political direction and momentum to the development of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework. The Summit will consist of an opening segment, a plenary segment for general discussion, two leaders’ dialogues, and a brief closing segment.
The political declaration of the 2019 SDG Summit calls for an SDG Moment to take place annually during the high-level week of the UN General Assembly (UNGA), each September until 2030. The Moment will highlight successes and identify where more action is needed. The first SDG Moment will take place either in conjunction with the UN 75 high-level meeting, on 21 September 2020, or on the opening day of the UNGA’s general debate for the 75th session, on 22 September 2020.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin will provide virtual coverage of the UN 75 celebrations, the UN Summit on Biodiversity, and the SDG Moment.
Additional events expected to take place during the opening weeks of the 75th session of the UNGA include a high-level meeting to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women (FWCW), which took place in Beijing, China in September 1995 (Beijing+25). Climate Week NYC 2020 will take place virtually in parallel to the opening week of the UNGA.
UNGA 75 Resources
IISD ENB/ENB+ Meeting Coverage
- 2020 High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF 2020), 7-16 July 2020
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at HLPF 2020, 7-16 July 2020
- UN Summits Week 2019, 23-27 September 2019, UN Headquarters, New York
- ENB Coverage of SDGs Related Meetings
- Subscription Page for IISD Reporting Services Peer-to-Peer Mailing Lists (including SDG, BIODIVERSITY-L, CLIMATE-L, FORESTS-L, OCEANS-L, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Linkages Update - International Environment and Sustainable Development News