18 September 2020 | Virtual
Highlights for Friday, 18 September 2020
Pandemic recovery efforts were described as a “once in a generation chance to set things straight,” with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as potentially a “board to bounce back further and faster” by speakers during the 2020 SDG Moment.
“COVID-19 threatens decades of progress. But it is also an opportunity to do things differently, to imagine better future, to harness humanity’s capacity for change and progress. Now is the time for bold choices,” UN Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed said during the closing session. Speakers also reiterated the need for global solidarity and the importance of multilateralism.
The SDG Moment was convened virtually by UN Secretary-General António Guterres to identify changes needed to recover better from COVID-19 and deliver the SDGs over the course of the decade. A “reality check” on progress on the SDGs was followed by a session on SDG gaps and plans, with interventions by 21 nominated Heads of State and Government. Contributions from stakeholders then addressed finance for the decade, climate solutions, and inequality.
Images from the Meeting
Videos from the Event
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- 2020 High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF 2020), 7-16 July 2020
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at HLPF 2020, 7-16 July 2020
- UN Summits Week 2019, 23-27 September 2019, UN Headquarters, New York
- ENB Coverage of SDGs Related Meetings
- Subscription Page for IISD Reporting Services Peer-to-Peer Mailing Lists (including SDG, BIODIVERSITY-L, CLIMATE-L, FORESTS-L, OCEANS-L, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Linkages Update - International Environment and Sustainable Development News