The 10th day of the Rio Conventions Pavilion addressed the theme, ‘Nature-based Solutions for Climate Change.’ The day was organized in two segments. In the morning, participants took part in panel and break-out sessions to highlight a range of experiences with ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) policy making, as well as lessons learned from implementing EbA projects and related nature-based approaches. In the afternoon, EbA Knowledge Day took place, under the overall theme of ‘Biodiversity conservation and infrastructure development.’ The segment included a market place showcasing practical examples of nature-based solutions and how to better align them to engineering-based solutions for disaster and climate resilience. The objectives of the day included:
- Discussing the links between biodiversity and climate change, including the role of conservation and restoration of ecosystems for climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Sharing knowledge and experiences with ecosystem-based approaches to climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction;
- Providing opportunities to exchange on ways for promoting natural climate solutions in the context of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Leveraging partnerships to accelerate progress in raising the profile of the contribution of biodiversity and ecosystem functions and services;
- Capitalizing on existing work among the organizations specializing in the science and policy of climate change and biodiversity; and
- Enhancing synergies between the Rio Conventions and relevant multilateral environmental agreements.
The Day was co-organized by SwedBio, Friends of Ecosystem-based Adaptation (FEBA), Die Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and The Partnership for Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction (PEDRR).
Photos by IISD/ENB | Mike Muzurakis
For photo reprint permissions, please follow instructions at our Attribution Regulations for Meeting Photo Usage Page
Integrating climate change and biodiversity in national level policy
Implementation of ecosystem-based approaches for climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction across sectors
EbA Knowledge Day
Around the venue