On Wednesday, IPBES-6 delegates started to consider the summary for policy makers for the thematic assessment on land degradation and restoration and discussed the review of the Platform.
The contact group on the regional assessment of biodiversity and ecosystem services in the Americas reconvened to resolve outstanding issues. The budget group continued its deliberations.
Throughout the day, delegates discussed how to craft short, clear, and understandable messages for policy makers. When discussing the lessons learned from the Platform’s internal review, several suggested that summaries for policy makers should be much shorter and simpler to ensure uptake by decision makers.
Highlights of the day included the following:
- Three of the regional contact groups concluded their work in the late evening or early morning hours having worked through most of the night.
- The contact group on the Americas regional assessment concluded its work during lunch time, thus keeping the meeting on track to the public launch of four regional assessments on Friday.
- The contact group on the assessment on land degradation and restoration considered the SPM, including clarifications on infographics in the background section.
- Delegates discussed conclusions and lessons learned from the internal review of the Platform, including suggestions to improve the drafting process for SPMs and developing shorter SPMs with more effective messages.
- Five countries signed up to the Coalition of the Willing on Pollinators, an initiative established to develop follow-up actions based on the findings of the Thematic Assessment on Pollinators, Pollination and Food Production adopted at IPBES-4.
For more about the day’s events, read the Earth Negotiations Bulletin daily report.
IISD Reporting Services, through its Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB) Meeting Coverage, provided daily digital coverage and daily reports from IPBES-6. In addition, IISD Reporting Services has produced a summary and analysis report of IPBES-6, which is now available in HTML and PDF.
Photos by IISD/ENB | Diego Noguera
For photo reprint permissions, please follow instructions at our Attribution Regulations for Meeting Photo Usage Page
Contact Group on Land Degradation and Restoration
The dais during the contact group
Contact Group Co-Chair Ivar Andreas Baste, Norway
Eva Spehn and José Romero, Switzerland
Anki Weibull, Sweden
Assessment Co-Chair Bob Scholes, South Africa
Shonisani Munzhedzi, South Africa
Mary Rowen, US
Mariam Akhtar-Schuster, Germany
Hayo Haanstra, the Netherlands
Karin Zaunberger, European Union (EU)
Joanne Perry, New Zealand
Ana Maria Rivero Santos, Colombia
Contact Group Co-Chair Fundisile Goodman Mketeni, South Africa
The Turkish delegation
Contact Group on the Review of the Platform
L-R: Contact Group Co-Chairs Alfred Oteng-Yeboah, Ghana and Robert Watson, UK; and Thomas Koetz, IPBES Secretariat
Hesiquio Benítez Díaz, Mexico
Malta Qwathekana, South Africa
Delegates from France
Bonnie Myers and Stephanie Aktipis, US
Larbi Sbaï, Morocco
Marina Samejima, Japan
Marco Fritz, EU
Hilde Eggermont, Belgium
A view of the room during the contact group
Americas Regional Assessment Contact Group
Participants at the Americas regional assessment contact group finalizing their deliberations
Coalition of the Willing on Pollinators Event
Signatory ceremony adding Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Ireland to the Coalition for the Willing on Pollinators
IPBES Chair Robert Watson’s 70th Birthday Celebration
Around the Venue
A view of Medellín from the venue (photo courtesy of Claudia Friedrich)