On Friday, IPBES-6 delegates finalized their discussions on pending assessments, implementation of IPBES’ first work programme and development of the next work programme. The contact group on land degradation and restoration continued to negotiate the summary for policy makers (SPM) of the assessment throughout the day and into the night.
Highlights of the day included the following:
- The SPMs and assessment chapters of the four regional and subregional assessments of biodiversity and ecosystem services were publicly launched at a media event in the morning.
- Delegates supported holding an informal meeting in 2018 to consider the draft SPM of the global assessment prior to its submission for approval at IPBES-7.
- Delegates agreed that the pending assessment on diverse conceptualizations of multiple values of nature should be considered for approval “no later than” at IPBES-10.
- On the pending assessment on sustainable use of wild species, delegates agreed to hold a workshop with IPBES’ UN Partners and appropriate multilateral agreements to provide input to the assessment.
- On the sidelines of the meeting, the IPBES Secretariat and the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI) signed a memorandum of understanding.
For more about the day’s events, read the Earth Negotiations Bulletin daily report
IISD Reporting Services, through its Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB) Meeting Coverage, provided daily digital coverage and daily reports from IPBES-6. In addition, IISD Reporting Services has produced a summary and analysis report of IPBES-6, which is now available in HTML and PDF.
Photos by IISD/ENB | Natalia Mroz
For photo reprint permissions, please follow instructions at our Attribution Regulations for Meeting Photo Usage Page
Media Event on the Launch of the Four Regional Assessments
Participants at the media event officially launching the four regional assessments on biodiversity and ecosystem services (all three photos courtesy of IPBES Secretariat)
Contact Group on the Land Degradation and Restoration Assessment
The dais during the Contact Group
Contact Group Co-Chair Fundisile Goodman Mketeni, South Africa
Grace Nangendo, Wildlife Conservation Society
The dais during the contact group
Luca Montanarella, Co-Chair of the thematic assessment on land degradation and restoration, and Ram Pandit, IPBES Expert
Contact Group Co-Chair Ivar Andreas Baste, Norway
Ben ten Brink and Machteld Schoolenberg, the Netherlands
Jing Xu and Li Gu, China
Participants confer during the session
Cesar Augusto Rey Angel, Colombia
Carl Fiati, Ghana
Contact Group on the Budget and Pending Assessments
Delegates from France confer during the contact group
Marina Samejima, Japan
Thomas Brooks and Elena Osipova, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Contact group Co-Chairs Rashad Allahverdiyev, Iran, and Spencer Thomas, Grenada; and Thomas Koetz, IPBES Secretariat
Christine Dawson, US
South African and Ghanaian delegates confer at the contact group
Signing Ceremony between IPBES and the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI)
IPBES Executive Secretary Anne Larigauderie
Marcos Regis da Silva, Executive Director IAI and IPBES Executive Secretary Anne Larigauderie
Around the Venue
The Chinese delegation poses for a photo with Ram Pandit, IPBES Expert