Reactions of Local and Regional Governments to UN75 Report
8 October 2020 | Online
Highlights for Thursday, 8 October 2020
This event was convened in the context of the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations (UN) and included a reaction to the findings of the Visioning Report UN75: The Role of Local and Regional Governments in the Future Global Governance of the International System. The report was drafted by the Global Taskforce of Local and Regional Governments (LRGs) on behalf of the constituency, as part of the global consultation organized by UN Secretary-General António Guterres on the occasion of the UN’s 75th Anniversary.
LRGs are at the forefront of fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, building back better, climate action, and implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and, thus, they should have a formal seat at the UN table, participants emphasized during the event. Noting that democracy is in jeopardy, as well as the survival of human rights, Ada Colau, Mayor of Barcelona and Special Envoy of UCLG to the UN, called for a new global governance that puts people at the center. In this vein, Carola Gunnarsson, Mayor of Sala, Sweden, and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) Vice-President, proposed the UCLG be given observer status at the UN. Vasu Gounden, Executive Director, African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes, suggested the UN create a “second chamber,” so that, by 2045, two UN chambers exist: the UN General Assembly (UNGA) and the UN General Assembly of Local Governments.
Ashok Sridharan, Mayor of Bonn, Germany, and President, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, said LRGs should strengthen their collaboration with the UN through: annual dialogues between the Global Taskforce of LRGs and the UN Sustainable Development Group; collaboration between the UN Regional Commissions, host cities, and regional governments and networks; and engagement with the UN Resident Coordinators in countries.
Fabrizio Hochschild, UN Under-Secretary-General and Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on the Commemoration of the UN's 75th Anniversary, mentioned that UNGA adopted a Declaration on the Commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations in which it mandated the Secretary-General to come with concrete recommendations on ways to “upgrade the UN.” He explained that the Secretary-General will commence a new consultation for crafting the recommendations, which he will present to UNGA in 2021. Hochschild invited UCLG to advance recommendations discussed during the event related to a more formalized role for LRG in the UN.
During a session on the findings of the Visioning Report, participants also discussed the UN75 Report: The Future We Want, The UN We Need: Update on the Work of the Office on the Commemoration of the UN’s 75th Anniversary, which summarizes the global consultation.
Opening the discussion, Hochschild noted the global consultation reached more than one million people. He explained that the UN75 Report was based on data from more than 1000 UN75 dialogues and an artificial intelligence analysis of social media in 75 countries. He emphasized the consultation had revealed that, despite the polarization spread in our societies by social media algorithms, people are united in their basic demands. People’s fears and hopes are similar, he said, and local governments are best suited to meet their needs. In subsequent sessions, LRG representatives discussed these needs.
A session on immediate priorities for recovery from the pandemic highlighted the need for improved access to basic services (healthcare, safe water, sanitation and education), greater international solidarity, tackling inequalities, and rebuilding a more inclusive economy. A session on long-term priorities focused on the climate crisis, gender equality, decentralization, post-COVID-19 green economic recovery, and reducing corruption. A final session addressed international cooperation and the UN, making proposals for a renewed multilateralism.
This event was organized by UCLG. It took place on 8 October 2020 in a virtual format due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Alejandra Salas | firstname.lastname@example.org
Images from the Event
Videos from the Event
- Visioning Report UN 75: the Role of Local and Regional Governments in the Future Global Governance of the International System
- Global Taskforce of Local and Regional Governments
- UCLG Website
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at the UN Summits Week 2020, 22-29 September 2020, Virtual
- 75th Anniversary of the UN, 21 September 2020, Virtual
- SDG Moment, 18 September 2020, Virtual
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at the 2020 High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF 2020), 7-16 July 2020, Virtual
- World Congress of United Cities and Local Governments and World Summit of Local and Regional Leaders, 11-15 November 2019, Durban, South Africa
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including SDG News, Climate News, Biodiversity News, Ocean News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)