12th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer (Part I) and 32nd Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
23-27 November 2020 | Online
Highlights for Tuesday, 24 November 2020
The second day of the virtual combined twelfth meeting of the Conference of the Parties (Part I) to the Vienna Convention and thirty-second Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol (COP 12(I)/MOP 32) opened with parties considering the membership of Montreal Protocol bodies for 2021. These included the membership of the Implementation Committee and the Multilateral Fund (MLF) Executive Committee, as well as the co-chairs of the forty-third Open-Ended Working Group (OEWG 43). Parties also discussed the membership of the Technical and Economic Assessment Panel (TEAP) and its Technical Options Committees. They did express some concern that confirming TEAP nominations for four years at a virtual meeting may be short-sighted as the expertise needed for the future could be overlooked.
Following the plenary session, the Budget Committee and the contact group on the MLF Replenishment met. The MLF Replenishment contact group considered proposals to roll over remaining funds from the current fiscal period (2018-2020). Parties debated how to ensure that the rollover of funds balance as the proposed interim budget is solely for 2021. They also deliberated on how best to reflect this while ensuring that any decision taken on an interim budget does not disrupt the donor processes for MLF contributions in the 2021-2023 triennium.
Many parties reflected on the difficulty of negotiating in a virtual setting, stating that it makes in-depth conversations on text proposals difficult. There was also a concern that discussions that were previously closed were suddenly accessible to all. As one delegate remarked, the goodwill in the Ozone family should ensure that parties could trust these conventions will not be breached.
COP 12(I)/MOP 32 is meeting online from 23-27 November 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic from 2:00 – 4:00 PM East Africa Time.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin will publish a summary and analysis of the meeting on Monday, 30 November 2020.
Images from the Meeting
COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Resources
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Website
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Documents
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Annotated Provisional Agenda
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Side Events
- Assessment Panel Reports
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Online Forum
- Contingency Meeting Plans for 2020-2021
- Ozone Secretariat Website
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- 42nd Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (OEWG 42), 14-16 July 2020, Online
- MOP 31, 4-8 November 2019, Headquarters of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO), Rome, Italy
- OEWG 41, 1-5 July 2019, UN Conference Centre (UNCC), Bangkok, Thailand
- MOP 30, 5-9 November 2018, Quito, Ecuador
- OEWG 40, 11-14 July 2018, Vienna, Austria
- COP 11 and MOP 29, 20-24 November 2017, Montreal, Canada
- Workshop on Safety Standards Relevant to the Safe Use of Low Global Warming Potential (GWP) Alternatives to Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) and OEWG 39, 10-14 July 2017, UNCC, Bangkok, Thailand
- ENB coverage of Vienna Convention and Montreal Protocol meetings
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including Climate News, SDG News, Biodiversity News, Ocean News, Ocean News, Forests News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)