12th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer (Part I) and 32nd Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
23-27 November 2020 | Online
Highlights for Thursday, 26 November 2020
On the penultimate day of the virtual combined twelfth meeting of the Conference of the Parties (Part I) of the Vienna Convention and thirty-second Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol (COP 12(I)/MOP 32), delegates spent much of their time in contact groups and informal discussions as it tried it finalize the remaining agenda items in anticipation of the High-Level Segment on Friday.
The Replenishment Contact Group addressed two draft decisions: an interim budget to allow the Multilateral Fund (MLF) Secretariat to continue operating in 2021; and to allow the Secretariat to arrange an Extraordinary MOP (ExMOP) in 2021 to take a final budget decision should conditions allow. It finalized text on the decision to arrange an ExMOP, and the draft decision was forwarded to the High-Level Segment (HLS). More time will be required to finalize the outstanding decision on an interim budget.
The Budget Committee considered and finalized the budgets for the trust funds of both the Vienna Convention and the Montreal Protocol. The latter was contingent on the outcome of the Replenishment Contact Group discussions.
An informal group on the Technology and Economic Assessment Panel (TEAP) membership also met. Parties were tasked with finalizing nominations for positions becoming vacant, with some wondering how best to address this issue to account for the flexibility needed given the uncertainty currently being faced globally. Although discussions concluded, with parties agreeing to appoint co-chairs for a full term, and appoint senior experts for a one-year term, some parties asked for further time to reflect on the matter.
Plenary met briefly at the start and the end of the day’s session, during which delegates agreed to extend the period for parties to sign on the Rome Declaration on the Contribution of the Montreal Protocol to Food Loss Reduction through Sustainable Cold Chain Management adopted at MOP 31 in 2019. They also forwarded the draft decisions on the 2021 memberships of the Implementation Committee, the MLF’s Executive Committee, as well as the co-chairs of the Open-ended Working Group, to the HLS.
COP 12(I)/MOP 32 is meeting online from 23-27 November 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic from 2:00 – 4:00 PM East Africa Time.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin will publish a summary and analysis of the meeting on Monday, 30 November 2020.
Images from the Meeting
COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Resources
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Website
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Documents
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Annotated Provisional Agenda
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Side Events
- Assessment Panel Reports
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Online Forum
- Contingency Meeting Plans for 2020-2021
- Ozone Secretariat Website
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- 42nd Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (OEWG 42), 14-16 July 2020, Online
- MOP 31, 4-8 November 2019, Headquarters of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO), Rome, Italy
- OEWG 41, 1-5 July 2019, UN Conference Centre (UNCC), Bangkok, Thailand
- MOP 30, 5-9 November 2018, Quito, Ecuador
- OEWG 40, 11-14 July 2018, Vienna, Austria
- COP 11 and MOP 29, 20-24 November 2017, Montreal, Canada
- Workshop on Safety Standards Relevant to the Safe Use of Low Global Warming Potential (GWP) Alternatives to Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) and OEWG 39, 10-14 July 2017, UNCC, Bangkok, Thailand
- ENB coverage of Vienna Convention and Montreal Protocol meetings
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including Climate News, SDG News, Biodiversity News, Ocean News, Ocean News, Forests News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)