12th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer (Part I) and 32nd Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
23-27 November 2020 | Online
Highlights for Wednesday, 25 November 2020
Delegates on the third day of the virtual combined twelfth meeting of the Conference of the Parties (Part I) of the Vienna Convention and thirty-second Meeting of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol (COP 12(I)/MOP 32) addressed critical-use nominations (CUNs) for methyl bromide, and heard the report of the Implementation Committee (ImpCom) from its sixty-fourth and sixty-fifth meetings. The Budget Committee and the contact group on the Multilateral Fund Replenishment (MLF) also met.
During its presentation, the Methyl Bromide Technical Options Committee (MBTOC) stated four CUNs had been received and reviewed: Australia and Canada for strawberry runners; Argentina for strawberry fruit and tomatoes; and South Africa for fumigating mills and houses. Two emergency use applications had also been received: Canada for strawberry nurseries, and Australia for rice. A draft decision containing the four nominations was forwarded for adoption at the High-Level Segment, which is scheduled for Friday, 27 November.
In its presentation to delegates, the ImpCom stated Kazakhstan, Libya and Ukraine are once again in compliance with their obligations under the Montreal Protocol. The ImpCom also considered a new case of noncompliance by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK). Debate largely centered on ensuring that UN Security Council resolutions regarding the DPRK are adhered to when receiving technical and financial assistance from Protocol implementing agencies. A draft decision including on the noncompliance of DPRK and the reporting of information on using controlled substances as process agents was forwarded to the High-Level Segment for adoption.
Following the plenary session, the MLF Replenishment contact group resumed its consideration of a draft decision to roll over the remaining funds balance from the current fiscal period (2018-2020) to the triennium 2021-2023 to allow the MLF Secretariat to continue operating. They continued their discussion on how to craft decision text reflecting parties’ desire to take a final MLF budget decision in 2021 while acknowledging that there is still uncertainty as to when in-person negotiations can be conducted. They also returned to discussions on ensuring that the funds balance rollover is intended as the interim budget solely for 2021.
Delegates were once again faced with overcoming the difficulties posed by virtual negotiations as issues that were previously able to be ironed out among parties on the sidelines now had to be addressed either in the larger contact group session or by other means such as email. One delegate lamented that this takes extra time, which is still a precious commodity, whether the negotiations are virtual or in-person.
COP 12(I)/MOP 32 is meeting online from 23-27 November 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic from 2:00 – 4:00 PM East Africa Time.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin will publish a summary and analysis of the meeting on Monday, 30 November 2020.
Images from the Meeting
COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Resources
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Website
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Documents
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Annotated Provisional Agenda
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Side Events
- Assessment Panel Reports
- COP 12(I)/MOP 32 Online Forum
- Contingency Meeting Plans for 2020-2021
- Ozone Secretariat Website
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- 42nd Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group of the Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (OEWG 42), 14-16 July 2020, Online
- MOP 31, 4-8 November 2019, Headquarters of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO), Rome, Italy
- OEWG 41, 1-5 July 2019, UN Conference Centre (UNCC), Bangkok, Thailand
- MOP 30, 5-9 November 2018, Quito, Ecuador
- OEWG 40, 11-14 July 2018, Vienna, Austria
- COP 11 and MOP 29, 20-24 November 2017, Montreal, Canada
- Workshop on Safety Standards Relevant to the Safe Use of Low Global Warming Potential (GWP) Alternatives to Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) and OEWG 39, 10-14 July 2017, UNCC, Bangkok, Thailand
- ENB coverage of Vienna Convention and Montreal Protocol meetings
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including Climate News, SDG News, Biodiversity News, Ocean News, Ocean News, Forests News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)