30 September 2020 | Virtual
The Summit on Biodiversity will be convened at the level of Heads of State and Government under the theme “Urgent Action on Biodiversity for Sustainable Development” on 30 September 2020. The meeting takes place on the margins of the opening of the 75th session of the UN General Assembly.
The Summit will highlight the crisis facing humanity from the degradation of biodiversity and the urgent need to accelerate action on biodiversity for sustainable development. It will provide an opportunity for Heads of State and Government and other leaders to raise ambition for the development of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework to be adopted at the 15th Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity in 2021.
The opening segment and the plenary session will highlight the connections between biodiversity, societies, and economies. This will be followed by two leaders’ dialogues on addressing biodiversity loss and mainstreaming biodiversity for sustainable development and on harnessing science, technology and innovation, capacity-building, access and benefit-sharing, financing, and partnerships for biodiversity.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin will provide virtual coverage of the Biodiversity Summit.
Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) Resources
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- UN Summits Week 2019, 23-27 September 2019, UN Headquarters, New York
- 2nd Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, 24-29 February 2020, Headquarters of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO), Rome, Italy
- 23rd Meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical, and Technological Advice (SBSTTA 23) and 11th Meeting of the Ad Hoc Open-ended Working Group on Article 8(j) and Related Provisions (WG8J 11) of the CBD, 20-22 and 25-29 November 2019, Montreal, Canada
- 1st Meeting of the Open-ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, 27-30 August 2019, UN Office, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2018 UN Biodiversity Conference, 14-29 November 2018, Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt
- ENB Coverage of Biodiversity Meetings
- Subscription Page for IISD Reporting Services Peer-to-Peer Mailing Lists (including BIODIVERSITY-L,SDG, CLIMATE-L, FORESTS-L, OCEANS-L, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Linkages Update - International Environment and Sustainable Development News