United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) World Council 2020
The Role of the International Municipal and Regional Movement in COVID Times
12-13 November 2020 | Online
The theme of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) World Council 2020 is “The role of the International Municipal and Regional Movement in COVID times.”
An Executive Bureau meeting on Thursday, 12 November 2020 will feature a High-Level Policy Dialogue on Ecological Transition in the Context of Post-COVID. The dialogue is part of the programme marked by the one-year anniversary of the Presidency and of the Durban Declaration, which guides the work of the World Organization of UCLG.
The high-level policy dialogue will discuss:
- global policy generation processes and their adaptation to the post-COVID world;
- linkages between democratic processes and the needs of the ecological transition; and
- international policymaking processes, their involvement with each other, and possible synergies.
A policy debate will focus on addressing inequalities, which is critical in the post-COVID era. A business session of the Executive Bureau will also take place.
On Friday, 13 November, the World Council will host a business session and a policy debate. The business session will address, among others: the 2021 work plan; composition and agenda of policy councils for 2021; the report of the Financial Management Committee; the Rome Charter on Cultural Rights; and the #CitiesAreListening Experience: Towards a Global Pact with Communities.
The policy debate, titled “Leading the Way to Recovery: Toward a New Pact for the Future,” will consider what recovery means and what its needs are in the context of creating a “better normal.” It will also define key priorities in this context.
UCLG Committees and Institutional Committees will also convene.
The UCLG is a global organization of cities and local governments and their associations that represents and defends the interests of local governments on the world stage. It also provides a platform to advance dialogue, cooperation and knowledge-sharing to uplift and empower communities at the local level.
The UCLG World Council 2020 will take place virtually, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, from 11-13 November 2020 and is being hosted by the city of Guangzhou, China.
IISD, through its Earth Negotiations Bulletin Meeting Coverage, will provide a digital update and a summary report of the UCLG Executive Bureau and UCLG World Council on 12 and 13 November.
IISD/ENB Meeting Coverage
- UN75 and Beyond: Inclusive Multilateralism and Voluntary Local Reviews (VLR) as a Tool, 23 October 2020, Online
- Reactions of Local and Regional Governments to the UN75 Report, 8 October 2020, Online
- Forum of Mayors 2020, 6 October 2020, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at the UN Summits Week 2020, 22-29 September 2020, Virtual
- 75th Anniversary of the UN, 21 September 2020, Virtual
- SDG Moment, 18 September 2020, Virtual
- Coverage of Selected Side Events at the 2020 High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF 2020), 7-16 July 2020, Virtual
- World Congress of United Cities and Local Governments and World Summit of Local and Regional Leaders, 11-15 November 2019, Durban, South Africa
- 1st Session of the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) Assembly, 27-31 May 2019, UN-Habitat headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- 2nd World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments, 16 October 2016, Quito, Ecuador
- UCLG World Congress and World Summit of Local and Regional Leaders, 12-15 October 2016, Bogota, Colombia
- Subscription Page for ENB Update, SDG Update, and Peer-to-Peer Community Mailing Lists (including SDG News, Climate News, Biodiversity News, Ocean News, Trade and Sustainable Development News, and Regional Updates)
- SDG Update Newsletter - A compilation of news, commentary and upcoming events published on the SDG Knowledge Hub
- SDG Knowledge Hub - An Online Resource Center for News and Commentary Regarding the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)