Delegates to the second meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Implementation (SBI 2) of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) continued their deliberations on Wednesday, considering the following agenda items:
- cooperation with other conventions, international organizations, and partnerships;
- mechanisms for review of implementation;
- national reporting, and assessment and review, under the Convention and its Protocols;
- enhancing integration under the Convention and its Protocols with respect to provisions related to access and benefit-sharing, biosafety, and Article 8(j) (traditional knowledge);
- review of the effectiveness of the processes under the Convention and its Protocols; and
- the trust fund for facilitating participation of parties in the Convention process: allocation of resources and possibilities of engaging the private sector.
Delegates then addressed conference room papers (CRPs) on: progress in the implementation of the Convention and its Strategic Plan, including the Gender Plan of Action; assessment and review of the Nagoya Protocol; and biodiversity mainstreaming.
A contact group on specialized international ABS instruments, and the Friends of the Chair group on the follow-up to the Strategic Plan met throughout the day and in the evening.
IISD Reporting Services, through its ENB Meeting Coverage, has provided daily web coverage, daily reports, and a summary and analysis from SBSTTA 22 and SBI 2.
Photos by IISD/ENB | Franz Dejon
For photo reprint permissions, please follow instructions at our Attribution Regulations for Meeting Photo Usage Page
L-R: Jyoti Mathur-Filipp, CBD Secretariat; and SBI 2 Chair Francis Ogwal (Uganda)
L-R: Hesiquio Benítez Díaz and Laura Rodríguez, Mexico
SBI 2 Snapshots
Participants from UNEP
L-R: Cyrie Sendashonga, IUCN; and Jyoti Mathur-Filipp, CBD Secretariat