Delegates continued their consideration and approval of the Summary for Policymakers (SPM) of the Working Group II (WGII) contribution to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report (AR6), working with the report authors to ensure the SPM properly summarizes and reflects the underlying assessment report and Technical Summary.
The Working Group held three plenary sessions that focused on, among others, the introduction and SPM sections on:
- future adaptation options and their feasibility;
- avoiding maladaptation;
- enabling conditions; and
- a box on common climate dimensions, global warming levels and reference periods.
Delegates also gathered in contact groups and “huddles” throughout the day to consider the sections and subsections in the SPM relating to:
- climate-resilient development;
- impacts of transiently exceeding climate targets (overshoot);
- current adaptation and its benefits;
- limits to adaptation;
- mid- to long-term risks; and
- complex, compound and cascading risks.
Originally scheduled to conclude tomorrow, Friday, 25 February, the Working Group session has been extended to Saturday, to enable the Group to conclude its work in approving the SPM and accepting the underlying report.
To receive free coverage of global environmental events delivered to your inbox, subscribe to the ENB Update newsletter.